May 12, 2020
Every year, the Blunk and Dads' awards recognize outstanding contributions to undergraduate teaching at UT Austin. The UT Austin Academy of Distinguished Teachers is emblematic of sustained excellence in undergraduate teaching.
“At the heart of our success as an institution lies passionate and devoted educators who inspire their students and colleagues, “said Tasha Beretvas, senior vice provost for faculty affairs. ”I am proud to recognize this year’s award recipients for their stellar contributions to our students’ learning.”
William David Blunk Memorial Professorship
Lee Ann Kahlor, professor in the Stan Richards School of Advertising, was awarded the 2020-2021 Blunk Professorship. This professorship recognizes a member of the faculty who has demonstrated an outstanding record in undergraduate teaching, and who shows special interest in, and on behalf of, undergraduate students. This includes undergraduate thesis advising, undergraduate involvement in research, academic advising, and other efforts which make the student educational experience more satisfying and meaningful.
Dads' Association Centennial Teaching Fellowships
The Dads' Association Centennial Teaching Fellowships are awarded to faculty members who are actively engaged in the instruction of freshmen undergraduates, demonstrate excellence in teaching, and make significant contributions to undergraduate education at UT Austin.
Recipients of the 2020-21 Dads’ Association Centennial Teaching Fellowships:
- George Christian, adjunct professor in the Department of English
- Kathryn Fuller-Seeley, professor in the Department of Radio-Television-Film
- Beili Liu, professor in the Department of Art and Art History
- Dixie Stanforth, associate professor of instruction in the Department of Kinesiology and Health Education
UT Austin Academy of Distinguished Teachers
Six inductees were nominated by their deans and selected through a rigorous evaluation process. The selection process is led by a committee comprised of current members of the academy, faculty peers, students and administrators. Members are awarded the title Distinguished Teaching Professor and serve for the duration of their tenure at UT Austin.
The 2020 inductees are:
- Erika Bsumek, associate professor in the Department of History
- Daniel Birkholz, associate professor in the Department of English
- Julia Guernsey, professor in the Department of Art and Art History
- Michele Rountree, associate professor in the Steve Hicks School of Social Work
- Meme Drumwright, associate professor in the Department of Advertising and Public Relations
- Sonia Paban, associate professor in the Department of Physics
For more information about the awards, readers can visit here: https://provost.utexas.edu/awards/faculty.