The University of Texas System Academy of Distinguished Teachers
Note: The UT System Academy is distinct from and not associated with the Academy of Distinguished Teachers at UT Austin
About the UT System Academy of Distinguished Teachers
In 2012, the University of Texas System Academy of Distinguished Teachers was established to recognize outstanding educators across the UT System academic institutions. Members of the Academy serve as the system-level advisor and advocacy group dedicated to fostering classroom innovation, promoting interdisciplinary educational perspectives, and catalyzing the sharing of best practices across campuses in the UT System. Nominees must have received a Regents’ Outstanding Teaching Award (ROTA) and have tenure or equivalent rank for non-tenure-track faculty (senior lecturer and above).
Visit the UT System Academy of Distinguished Teachers Website for:
- Purpose, mission, and goals of the Academy
- Selection procedure and criteria
- Membership and bylaws
UT Austin Selection Process and Deadlines
Eligible faculty members who are interested in the UT System ADT should contact their dean’s office to determine the preliminary deadline and submit their application. Nominations from the colleges must be received by the Provost’s Office no later than November 11, 2020.
Number of Nominations
The College of Liberal Arts and the College of Natural Sciences may each submit up to two nominations. All other colleges and schools may submit one nomination.
- All final nomination packages shall be submitted electronically to the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost via UT Box from the respective dean’s office. The Provost will invite the award coordinator to UT Box for submission.
- If there is more than one nominee in any category the dean should provide a ranking of the nominees. The dean’s ranking may be uploaded to UT Box with the awards packets or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org including names of nominees and their associated department and category.
- All required nomination documents must be received at the provost’s office by the respective deadline or the nomination may not be considered.
The nomination packets should be submitted electronically to email@example.com in the Provost’s Office and shall include, following this order:
- A cover page listing the nominee’s name and title, department, university, and contract information.
- A one-page statement from the nominating institution (from the dean or department chair) demonstrating how the nominee is distinguished from other Regents’ Outstanding Teaching Award winners based on the selection criteria above.
- A two-page personal statement from the candidate that includes a discussion of the candidate’s
- Educational philosophy
- Outstanding educational contributions
- Professional development series
- Intended contributions to the Academy
- Two recent letters of support
- One from a peer
- One from a current or former student
- Brief/Condensed CV (no more than 5 pages)
- The original Regents’ Outstanding Teaching Award packet in a single PDF. The nominee has the option to minimally modify their ROTA file through updates to tables, award lists and publications, etc., but is not to replace or add more letters of reference, essays or sections.
UTA 6.440, Mailcode D7600
Executive Vice President and Provost
1616 Guadalupe St., D7600
Austin, Texas 78701