Scholarship & Excellence in Education Foundation
The Barry Goldwater Scholarship provides $7,500 per year for educational expenses to two groups of students: those who will be college juniors and those who will be college seniors in the 2021 – 2022 academic year. Applicants must have outstanding potential and intend to pursue careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. A campus committee selects UT’s nominees before applications are forwarded to the national competition.
Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time sophomore or junior pursuing a degree at an accredited institution of higher education during the 2020–2021 academic year.
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0.
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or in the case of nominees from Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Mariana Islands, a United States national.
- Intend to pursue a research career in natural science, mathematics, or engineering.
- Students must apply through their respective college. Submitting a pre-application on the Goldwater site only is not sufficient to be considered as a nominee for UT Austin.
- A campus committee selects UT Austin’s final nominees before their applications are completed on the Barry Goldwater Scholarship website.
- Finalist applications are coordinated via the Campus Representative in the Office of the Provost.
Cockrell School of Engineering application deadline is November 1, 2020.
College of Natural Sciences application deadline is October 30, 2020.
Selected finalists must submit materials to the Provost Office by January 22, 2021.
Campus Representative in the Provost’s Office
Kathy Uitvlugt is responsible for submitting all materials by the set Goldwater deadline. Deadlines posted on the Goldwater website are for the Campus Representative in the Provost’s Office, not for the applicants. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
College of Natural Sciences
Cockrell School of Engineering
Engineering Scholarship Program