Funding for Small Academic Renovation Projects (80/20 Program)


Requests to Renovate Academic Space

The Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost manages a yearly program to provide funding for academic space renovation projects with a total project cost (TPC) between $300K and $3M.  The Provost’s Office will provide funding support for up to 80% of the TPC with the College or School funding the remaining 20%. If the project is completed under the budgeted TPC, the remaining funds will be split equally between the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost and the CSU.  All projects submitted must be endorsed by the CSU’s respective Dean.

Requests should be submitted by the first of day March to be considered for funding.  Funding will be provided by the Provost’s Office in the Fall following the submission cycle to procure projects in the year following the submission cycle.


  1. Project submitted by March 1, 2024
  2. Project funds transfers initiated September 2, 2024
  3. Project construction 2024-25

STEP 1: Submit the project information using the form at the link on this page and include the following information:

  • Project scope and location, including building and room numbers
  • Formal Rough Order of Magnitude estimate (ROM) provided by Planning, Design and Construction *required
  • CP# *required
  • How the project will advance the mission of the college/school/department

STEP 2: Submitted projects will be reviewed by the Provost’s Office

The request will be reviewed with the following considerations:

  • Academic impact, which include student learning experience and faculty recruitment or retention initiatives.
  • Impact on overall campus space utilization and efficiency.

STEP 3: Project approval.  CSU’s will be notified of project approval on or before May 30, 2024.

If the project is approved, the Provost’s Office Academic Space Planning & Management team (ASPM) will be the primary point-of-contact for Planning, Design and Construction and will coordinate with the college or school.  For questions please contact ASPM at the email address noted on this page.

Note:  No submission will be accepted without a formal ROM estimate provided by Planning, Design and Construction and a corresponding CP#.

Request Renovation

Submit a request for an academic space renovation.

Fill out the form