Over the past few years, UT Austin has made significant progress to strengthen interdisciplinary research and scholarship efforts. Through a combination of the work already occurring in the colleges and schools, and reinforced by the UT Pop-up Institutes and Bridging Barriers, our campus is experiencing considerable interdisciplinary research and scholarship momentum.
To supplement this work, the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost is launching the Cluster and Interdisciplinary Hiring Initiative. It is designed to extend collaborative research and scholarship by authorizing up to 40 new faculty hires whose interdisciplinary areas of knowledge cross the boundaries of existing academic departments.
Goals and Objectives
The Cluster and Interdisciplinary Hiring Initiative aims to supplement departmentally-based hiring practices and norms. In essence, the initiative will facilitate interdisciplinary strategic hiring by providing full salary support for new faculty positions.
The initiative’s goals include:
- Enabling the campus to devote a critical mass of faculty to areas of knowledge that can only be addressed across existing departmental structures.
- Providing for new research tracks and collaborative opportunities.
- Addressing difficult contemporary problems.
- Encouraging and fostering cooperation among an already strong faculty and staff research body.
- Assisting with the fulfillment of other priorities of the university, particularly increasing campus diversity.