In an effort to provide increased support for associate professors pursuing promotion to full professor, the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost has created the Provost’s Authors Fellowship. Through this program, faculty members engaged in the development and publication of scholarly books will have financial and programmatic support to focus on their work, regardless of their field of study or academic discipline. This includes the oppoutunity to benefit from small-group writing support. The program will utilize Wendy Belcher’s Writing Your Journal Article in Twelve Weeks, which may also be fruitfully used for books.
- 12 associate professors will be selected as fellows for 15 months, beginning in June 2019.
- Fellows will receive one-month of summer salary, each summer, during the 2019 and 2020 summer semesters.
- Fellows will be granted two course adjustments for the academic year, at the discretion of the dean/department chair, to provide more focused time for research and scholarship.
- Fellows will receive an additional $4,000 for research support or professional development.
- Fellows will be organized into small writing groups that will meet monthly to read and provide feedback on one another's work. Attendance at these monthly meetings is a mandatory component of the program.
- The provost will host luncheons, at both the beginning and the end of the academic year, to celebrate and recognize the efforts of the faculty fellows. The fellows’ dean/department chair will also be invited.
- Upon completing the program, participating faculty members will submit a brief report detailing their progress.
- Fellows will be asked to serve as mentors to future fellows.