UT Student Awarded Prestigious Astronaut Scholarship

Teddy Hsieh, a senior chemistry and electrical engineering major at UT Austin, has been named to the 2021 Astronaut Scholar Class by the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation (ASF) for a second year.

Teddy Hsieh

This is a national award given to a select group of outstanding undergraduate students studying in the fields of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM). The Astronaut Scholarship recognizes STEM majors with exemplary academic performance, ingenuity, and a unique aptitude for research.

As an Astronaut Scholar, Teddy will receive:

• A scholarship up to $15,000
  • The opportunity to represent UT Austin at ASF’s Scholar Technical Conference
  • Mentoring by a scholar alumni, C-suite executive, or astronaut
  • Membership in the Astronaut Scholar Honor Society

“I am elated to be named again as an Astronaut Scholar. Despite the obstacles presented by COVID-19, the mentoring, opportunities, and scholarship provided by ASF throughout last year have empowered me to pursue my aspirations in research and student leadership,” said Hsieh. “However, it was the support I received at UT Austin which opened the door for the Astronaut and Goldwater scholarships. Without the coordination provided by UT staff, the intellectual stimulation from my research mentor Professor Seth Bank, or the extensive application guidance from Dr. Leanne Field, none of this would have been possible.”

Astronaut Scholarships are awarded to students in their junior or senior year of college who intend to pursue research or advance their field upon completion of their final degree.

“Academically, I have expanded my multidisciplinary studies. My backgrounds in physical and organic chemistry proved invaluable by building a deeper understanding of the chemical mechanisms hidden within complex processes,” Hsieh said of his current research. “Once I return to the laboratory, I look forward to finish constructing the deposition chamber, calibrate reaction parameters, and characterize deposition selectivity with atomic force and scanning electron microscopy.”

This year, ASF awarded 60 scholarships to students from 44 universities across the country.

To learn more about the scholarship and how to apply, visit provost.utexas.edu/awards/astronaut.

date
Type
News
Tags